Thursday, February 16, 2017

The Genius King

Hello World!!

"Finally," thought the King, "I'm so glad all this nonsense is over! I can finally go to bed. Oh wait, what's-her-face is there... What was her name again? Oh, it doesn't matter! I'll have a new wife tomorrow anyway!" The King sighed as he made his way down the long, narrow hallway to his chambers. "I still don't understand why women even exist in this world! Such barbaric and heartless creatures don't deserve to live. They are simply an unnecessary nuisance. It's quite alright though. Everyone makes mistakes and I plan on teaching every woman a lesson. A new one each night.  Sheryll!! That was it.... was it? Oh dear." 

The King stopped suddenly in front of the door. He took a deep breath and began his usual pep talk to himself. "You are a strong and admirable king! You have the ability to withstand another... creature. You are a neat guy. You can do this. Deep breaths." He let out his last breath and mentally played "Eye of the Tiger" in his head as he got ready to go in. When he finally felt "invincible" he opened the door and walked in. 

The King's Royal Look, Source:YouTube


He felt his jaw drop as soon as he saw her look up at him and then suddenly the other one looked up too! "How drunk was I last night? Or am I drunk now?.... I can't believe I married two women. I was not prepared for this. I should have listened to "Roar" as well. Breathe in. Breathe out. Brea--it said something... ohh sisters. Great. Just keep nodding. Nod. Nod. Now smile... too much. Better. Don't yawn! Don't do it. Darn it." 

The King walked over to his bed and sat down as Dinarzade asked her sister to tell her a story. He gave his consent as Scherezade began to tell the story of the Fisherman and the Genie. The King was amazed. 

"Greaaattt. As if she wasn't enough now I have to listen to a stor-- wait, there's a Genie!! Don't look excited. Don't do it! You are a king. Kings don't get excited. Do they? She's starting!" 

The King could barely contain his excitement at the story. He became completely engrossed in the fisherman's tale as Scherezade told her story with such heart. Eventually, the night came to an end and the sunrise began to show through the window. The king was annoyed when Scherezade made the genius move of stopping the story on a cliffhanger. 

The King practically screamed inside his head. "Why?! Why didn't we have enough time to finish the story? Well, I guess she could stay another day... No. How can I stand her for another night? But I need to know what happens to the Genie! She's looking right at me. Nod. Nod. Yes! I cannot wait for tomorrow night!!" 

And so Scherezade went on to live another day, and tell another story! 

Author's Note:
This is the story that I chose to write from my last story planning post. I really wanted to make the king quirky. I wanted him to hate women, but to be a huge child on the inside. I feel that helps make his character a little softer. I think that it is crazy that he felt the need to punish all women due to one bad experience in his life. This is also another reason that I felt his character needed to be a bit ridiculous to fit his crazy decision.

I took inspiration from random places. Some from "Friends," specifically from the when Ross overhears his girlfriend's father's pep talk.This inspired the pep talk scene. 


As well as some from "The Emperor's New Groove." While Kronk was my favorite character, Kuzco was definitely unique. "The Emperor's New Groove" was all about Kuzco who was an arrogant and self-centered emperor until Yzma and Kronk accidentally turn him into a llama while trying to kill him. Kronk chooses to help Kuzco and correct his error while Yzma does not. Kuzco also ends up living with a sweet and simple family in the village which allows him to learn compassion and the true meaning of love as well as relationships. I hope that you enjoy the story! Please feel free to let me know if there is anything that you feel I should change or edit! Thank you!
All the information can be found at Arabian Nights

 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Sahra! I really enjoyed reading your story and the twist you put on the Kings character. You wouldn't expect a man with so much power to be so engrossed in a story made up by the girl, but it made the whole thing seem light-hearted and fun to read. I think it was kind of funny how he was trying so hard to play the "tough guy" but his inner little boy was exposed at the simple mention of a Genie in the story that was being told. Great job writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sahra, I liked how you made him to be such a tough guy even though on the inside all he wants to do is sit there and listen to the story the whole time. He even got mad when he could not find out the end like a little boy would in real life. It was super cute and just adorable at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sahra I really liked reading your story about the Genius King. First off, I really liked the image you selected because it played off the funny tone of the story while allowing the reader to picture the character. I did think it was creative to have the entire story written from the perspective of the King. It really highlighted his personality and was able to display his change in personality as he heard this story. I do think that maybe having a few sentences of dialogue between the wives and he would allow for a stronger development of the King. My favorite part was definitely when he was entering the room and playing “Eye of the Tiger”. That is definitely a great pick me-up song but it is funny picturing a King during this time period dancing to it. This story was very light and I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven’t read this story, so just as a warning, most of my comment will probably involve asking questions about this story and how it relates to the source.

    I like how you wrote the main character—quirky, but flawed. That was an excellent idea to get around him hating women and making him more lighthearted and funny. I don’t fully understand why he acts the way he does, especially why he hates women. If you’re looking for suggestions for editing, I think adding more background on the king would help, even if it were just a sentence or two. You mentioned The Emperor’s New Groove as an inspiration, and I notice you have the king talk to himself a lot. You could combine those two things and use what The Emperor’s New Groove did—by giving the character a shoulder angel and/or devil to converse with. This would give him another character to talk to and maybe even be a vehicle for characterization/backstory explanation. Also, the story is sassy enough to get away with it.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sahra, I really enjoyed reading your story and the humor you used. The king's dialogues with himself helped a lot portray the style of character you were striving for. The humor in the story kind of allowed me as a reader to imagine the situation as if it was happening and how the King was having all these thoughts run through his mind. I liked the battle of personalities between what he portrays versus what he really is. It is always controversial to hear a story with such a contrast in personality especially when the character is a king. I also liked the eye of the tiger and roar references you used in a so called traditional story. It was a joy to read, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sarah! I really enjoyed reading your story and the presentation style that you chose for this story post. Having no prior experience to the original story, your author's note provided me with a good backstory allowed for me to enjoy the story more than I may have otherwise. The humor you used for the story really made it a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This story definitely had an Emperor's new groove feeling to it. I really enjoyed that aspect of it. It made me laugh a lot and you really conveyed the child trait in the character of the king. However, I did not really understand the king's reasoning for hating women so much until I read your author's note. Maybe in your version of the story that's something you can expand on a little more. Maybe give us a little background on why the king hates women and wants to punish them for no reason. I thought your portrayal of the king was VERY quirky in a good way. It was very comedic at times and I like the approach you took with it. You turned a serious story into a fun filled comedy. Other than expanding on the king's background, I don't have much else to say other than very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right from the get-go, the king's personality is established well, I immediately saw how childish he seemed! The inner monologue was funny and showed how nervous he was. Though I didn't read the original story, I could gather some information about what's going on from the context. The author's note provides a lot of insight about how and why you chose the details you did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Sahra! I loved how you made the king’s personality. He really did remind me of Kuzco, and I thought it worked well with your story. I kind of didn’t want to like the king because of his misogynistic views, but his childish personality overruled that so I was more amused by the King and his thoughts, especially when he decided to let Scherezade live because he wanted to hear the ending of the story.

    ReplyDelete