Thursday, February 9, 2017

Storybook Planning

Hello World!!

This time around I decided to try and plan a story to see if this helps me write a better story than what I usually end up having. This week my reading was about Scherezade and Shehryar. I found the reading a reminder of my childhood and a wonderful read as well.

One specific idea that I have for a story is coming up with my own "fable." I think it would be great to come up with an entirely new story. It would be a great way to challenge myself. I think two monkeys would be fun as well as entertaining. They are always doing something new and learning various things from us. Maybe they could be siblings and each could have a flaw which was made a strength by the two of them working together? I think that would be a fun idea.

Another idea is to write a story about what would happen if the king found out about Scherezade's plan? Would he become angry and harm her and Dinerzade? Or would he simply be amused and let it happen anyway. I think it would be incredibly interesting to see what the king was thinking through all of these stories. Was he entertained or annoyed? What was he thinking about? I would really enjoy writing this version of the story since I could manipulate the king's character to my liking.

I'm still playing around with these two ideas, but I am not sure which one would be a better story to read. I would appreciate feedback and would enjoy any new ideas that anyone has! I think that this gives me some time to take a breath and put together a story rather than rush into it. If this makes it easier for me to construct a better story then I think that this is a great option to invest time in!



Arabian Nights, Source: Constant Contact


All the information can be found at Arabian Nights

2 comments:

  1. I have never done a story planning post, but yours seems really beneficial so who knows I might next week! Ha it's funny because this week my story was actually about Scheherazade and the Sultan! I personally love the idea about the two monkeys because it is so different from the original and you could really make it your own. I also like that it kind of has a happy ending and they learn they are better off together than alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like reading and writing stories from a different perspective than what you're normally used to so I think the story from the Sultan's perspective could be really interesting. He could either be smarter than they think and just want to see how long they can keep the game going or he could be completely full of himself but not realize what is actually going on underneath his nose. You could also detail some of the things he has to go through during the day and show the stories are really a treat and escape for him too.

    ReplyDelete