Wednesday, January 18, 2017

All About Me! (An Introduction)


Hello World!!

TIME. Who would stop to think that this small little four letter word could mean everything to a person. It can make the difference of going from nothing to everything. We all run after time. We feel the need for it to stop, for it to move faster, or even complain that there isn't even enough to go around. You would think that having dealt with this trivial issue for so long we would have gotten used to the one simple fact that everyone seems to forget. Time doesn't ever stop for anyone. NEVER. It doesn't matter how many fallen eyelashes or shooting stars we put our faith in, We won't be able to make it slow down or stop for us. 

So, you can imagine that for a college student like myself, it became incredibly difficult for me to even fathom how summer went by so quickly! It seemed as though I closed my eyes and then opened them and it was time for school. Although it does help that I have been working incessantly for this one moment that other people tend to take for granted. This meant I was all too excited to begin my semester at the University of Oklahoma this last fall. I was even counting down the days, packing in advance, getting my books ready, and making various important lists for what I deemed fit. You name it, I had it prepared. The only thing that I forgot about was how hard it would be for me to move away from my family. We don't think about it until it happens I suppose, but with a family that is as close as mine, leaving them was incredibly difficult. 

Don't misunderstand. I definitely made the most of my summer, and I didn't spend it moping! From late night movies to family reunions everything was given ample time, however some how it still doesn't seem like enough. Long story short, in today's post I had began to type a lengthy introduction for you. That's when it hit me. I could give you all of the basics. I could tell you that I am a Public Relations major and a junior this year.That I am still obsessed with the series "Friends" and repeatedly watch the re-runs even though I can pretty much quote every single line.
 
Friends Quote from Pinterest 

Source: www.pinterest.com




 I could even tell you that I have always wanted a pet, but have never been able to get one since my mother seems to find an excuse for every animal that we suggest. But what good would any of this information do? Can you really be introduced to a person simply by knowing of them? So I decided I would share something a bit more with you. 

Ever since I was little I have been obsessed with books. I read them like normal kids eat candy, but the only difference was that I never got off my sugar rush. I would get so engrossed in reading a book that I would forget that I even had the need to eat, sleep, or even get up off of the couch. That's where the problem began! Books were my escape. I could open up a book about a psychopath murderer and be able to know exactly what his next move would be yet still be surprised when the inevitable happened. I could be a fearless rebel fighting for what I believed in even though no one would support me. So basically, I could be anyone or anything. Nothing anyone did could tear me away from my special little world. This would always make my Dad incredibly angry, because it directly affected my health. He would think of ways to get me to stop in the middle of my wonderful book for food, sleep, and conversation. (Who needs those right?) Unlike, most parents he couldn't say, "Get up and read a book! Stop wasting your time!" So, he would simply take my books and hide them. He would literally grab them out of my hand, walk into his room, lock the door, and then come back out book free! Although once I had completed my dinner he would do his best to keep the book from me for longer so that I would spend some time in the real world. It was a constant fight between the two of us! I loved my books, my fantasies, but I always loved my family more. Thankfully today I have found a balance between getting attached to a book and knowing when I need to put it down for a break. Like I said before books were my escape from the world. What is your escape?...

23 comments:

  1. Hi Sahra, you have such a great introduction! I loved how you talked about the concept of time. I found that interesting because everyone seems to have a different concept of time; some people are always in a rush to be in a new place in life and others are perfectly content with everything always staying just how it is. I see that we have a few things in common, I am also a junior PR major and love the show friends too! Since you asked.. my escape is cheerleading. I love being able to challenge myself and going to practice and games is like a mini escape from the chaos of schoolwork and everything else life throws at me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sahara, I really love your writing style and the details in your blog post. I honestly think you have a knack for it and might consider blogging as a serious carer! I think it might be helpful in the future to add a little more detail about yourself just so we can all get to know you better! Thanks for sharing I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you Sahra! I also don't know how the summer got away from me so fast! I also enjoy spending time with my family and look forward to breaks! My father would also try to stop me from reading so much, but he never took mine away at least (thank God!). I love reading too, and almost always have my head stuck in a book. Just a quick question, was the end sentence supposed to link to something? I wasn't sure if you just colored the sentence differently or if the link was broken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! It's nice to meet you Sahra! I'm a Gaylord student as well. Several of my close friends are PR majors. What's hilarious is I love FRIENDS, too! I think I have watched every season at least three times now. I usually turn on Netflix and watch it as I fall asleep. Sometimes I think it's funny when I watch an episode that I don't remember clearly. Also, it's great how some of the scenes and jokes are just as funny as ever even though I have probably watched them a million times. It was so nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that was quite the introduction! There never does seem to be enough time to do everything you really want to do. I am right up there with you with your love of Friends. I honestly can't even begin to say how many times I've seen every episode. Friends quotes have become a second language for my siblings and me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that was quite the introduction! There never does seem to be enough time to do everything you really want to do. I am right up there with you with your love of Friends. I honestly can't even begin to say how many times I've seen every episode. Friends quotes have become a second language for my siblings and me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! What a fun introduction! Your writing style is really entertaining to read and I feel like your personality really shows through in this! I was always jealous of my friends who were obsessed with reading when I was growing up, it seems like now they have the biggest vocabularies and are all great writers. Also, solid choice with Friends. I love that show. It cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sahra,

    Well your writing style is attention-grabbing that is for sure. I totally agree with youo about your bit on time. We never seem to have enough and what a tricky thing to manage throughout our lives. Especially in college. How difficult it is to eat right, stay healthy, workout, laundry, homework etc. Cool reads keep it up.

    Sincerely,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Sarah! Well that was certainly the most unique and unexpected introduction that I have experienced in this course so far. The emphasis you implied with certain words by writing them in a separate color was a nice touch, as was ending the post on a question for the reader to further consider.I have to agree with you, it always seems as if summer goes by way to fast each year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joey doesn't share food!

    I love Friends too :^). Pretty interesting introduction! Very different from the ones I've seen. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who loved books so much, so that was really interesting to read about. Summer always goes by too quickly! It always makes me sad :(, but that just means we have to enjoy all the time we have, right?

    Anyway, it's nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice choice for an introduction. Very philosophical. You're right, it's hard to meet someone and get a good sense of them through just one of these introduction posts. By the end of the semester, I feel like you could get a better feel for a person in this class by reading through their own blog, but you still would only know them based on what they choose to write and publish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Sahra! Your introduction was really interesting to read and very engaging! I loved that you decided to go with the unusual introduction! I was very much the same way growing up! I would read and read and forget to eat, sleep, or move. I wasn't quite to the extent you were. My mom never hid my books from me, but she would bother me until I put the book away and would interact with her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sahra,

    I love your introduction! It definitely stands out from the rest. I’m also obsessed with Friends, I think it is probably my all time favorite TV series. WE WERE ON A BREAK! Classic. I like how you shared how much you love to read! Reading definitely use to be my escape. When I was reading a book I loved, I wouldn’t be able to put it down. I would spend every free second I had reading until I finished the book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sahra, it was really nice reading your introduction! When you mentioned how excited you were about your first semester here, I think that is something that we all definitely can relate to. This is the first time in our lives that a lot of us get to move away from home and that is definitely a scary and exciting adventure! I hope you have enjoyed your time here thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sahra! I also absolutely love reading. Whenever I pick up a good book, I'll just sit or lay still until I finish it so I also have problems forgetting to eat. When I was younger, my mom would threaten to take away my books instead of threatening to ground me, so I get that. I'd even hide books in the bathroom and take "bathroom breaks" during my homework and just read on the bathroom floor for as long as I could. Books are fantastic escapes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I think about time, I always think about how valuable it is. We have less and less with every passing minute, and those minutes each seem shorter than the last, so I feel like making the most of it is the best choice. Anyways, it's great that you love books so much, since there are so many out there that you'd never really run out of books you'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Summer is never long enough is it? I hope that your time spent moving to OU and all of the preparation was worth it! How much longer do you have here? Maybe that isn't such an important thing to spend time on though since time stops for no one. Have you had the opportunity to read Alice and Wonderland? The aspect of time comes up and I think you would enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Sahra,
    I absolutely loved your introduction. I found your concept on time very interesting. It really does mean everything in this world, and you defined it perfectly. Summer does always seem to fly by WAY too fast, I totally agree! But, I feel like it would feel that way no matter how long they actually made summer.
    I know many people who do feel as though reading is their escape. That's amazing. I've always liked reading, but I never seem to find time to nowadays.
    Good luck to you the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Sahra!
    Your introduction was so unique, I loved it! Plus you are absolutely right; I do feel like I know you better than just telling me you never had a pet. (Which by the way I am so sorry, I could not live without my pups.) I too love to read, although in college it is definitely not as easy as it used to be to find time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Sahra! First of all, I would like to say that I really liked your introduction. The beginning really caught my attention because time is something we all have but can never really get back once it’s gone. I was really intrigued when you decided to start of with this, and I can already tell your storytelling skills will be fantastic! I can’t wait to read one right after this. Anyway, don’t think there’s anything wrong with loving books. You do you! I, myself, love reading books, but I feel like I haven’t had any time these past few years to actually sit down and read… SO! This will be one of my goals this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Sahra, what a unique introduction. I finally made it around to your introduction post, even though it's the last week of the course. I'm glad I did! I used to be the same way at one point. Back in elementary school and middle school, when AR points were a thing, I always had my nose in a book. As I got older, I got busier so the time I used to read got occupied by other things. Anyways, it's nice to finally meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sahra,
    I really loved your introduction. I thought it was so different and wonderful. I too thought that summer went by really fast. I was really sad that it was over, but really happy that I could get back to OU and spend time with my friends that I didn’t get to see. I also love reading. I haven’t had much time this semester to read because this has been my busiest, but I am looking forward to summer to try and catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey, Sahra! It's great to meet you even though it's so late in the semester! When I was young, I had the same "problem" as you did with reading. I'm sure you remember when all the Harry Potter books were coming out, I know I do. As soon as they were released, I had them read within a day or two. It's almost sad how much passion I used to have for reading. I still love a good book, but I'm pretty sure that I was better reader when I was in middle school because of how much time I spent with my nose in a book! Lol. Anyway, keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete