Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Week 8 Growth Mindset

Hello World!! 

Growth mindset is something that we have spoken about before in this blog. The main concept of having a growth mindset is looking at failures in a positive light and learning them rather than attempting to beat ourselves up about our downfalls.

You know how we all have that little voice in or head's? Like the Marvin's voice for Dory is her conscience? When I was little my voice was always gnawing at me, and it always tended to exaggerate my flaws. My philosophy has always been, if you point out your flaws to yourself you will be able to work past them and find success. After a few years of doing this to myself constantly I realized I was completely wrong. I quickly found that talking myself up after things that didn't go my way helped so much more than trying to make myself feel terrible about everything that I couldn't do. I suppose I had discovered having a growth mindset was beneficial before even realizing that there was a name for what I had chosen to do. This small decision has allowed me to be able to accomplish things I had no idea I could do until I tried.


Inspirational Quote, Source: LoveThisPic

When thinking about this class, I have realized that I do my best not stressing out about everything that I have to do helps me. I also do my best to not go crazy when I miss an assignment. I simply take a look at all of the extra credit that I can use to recover from my error. This allows my stress levels to drop.  I still feel that my time isn't being managed well, but since I do get everything done on time I am not going to take that as a terrible thing.

All in all, I am thankful that I had the ability and the chance to apply a growth mindset to everything that I chose to do in my life. It has helped me excel in ways that I didn't even know were possible. I highly recommend that you attempt to apply this to your own life. You will see a world of a difference.

4 comments:

  1. It is definitely important for people to understand their weaknesses. Of course, there are always people who say that they do not have any weaknesses but I simply do not believe that is true. The first tip to success seems to be building on your struggles while also improving what you are already good at. Even the people who think that they have everything together have problems and that is important to remember to realize that you are not the only one with flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming to terms and understanding the areas where you are lacking is certainly something that more people need to be able to do, without being too hard on themselves in the end.I have that belief that anyone who says they have no weaknesses are lying to themselves in one way or another, because we are all imperfect and come with our own set of flaws. It is certainly good to remember that you as the individual are not the only one with flaws, and that there are others out there similar to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I love how you layout your blog to all begin the same with your "Hello World!!" The inspirational quote you used is also perfect for talking about growth mindset. Especially since we have no idea who is being impacted by our actions, and having a growth mindset could positively affect everyone around us.
    I agree that applying a growth mindset does make a world of difference. I think it's interesting that you brought up this class as an example. You're right, missing an assignment shouldn't be frowned upon, for we have allowed so many opportunities to make it up!
    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great you were able to switch your mindset from negativity to positivity. When it comes to this class, I feel the same way. I try not to panic about missing assignments and take it easy because of all the extra credit points that I can get next week. This applies to other classes too, of course. Like when I get a bad grade on a midterm, I think "I'll study more so I can get a better grade on the next one" instead of being frustrated with myself.

    ReplyDelete