Monday, March 27, 2017

The Monkey's Bride

Hello World!!

"Stop throwing the food! Bubaloo!! I mean it! Stop now or else!" Aastha found herself screaming like crazy at her husband. He didn't even need to be called that! It had been two months since she had been forced into marriage by her parents. Even her two-year-old son had started acting like his new father. She couldn't even manage to describe what had happened with them. She just knew that she couldn't take it anymore. 

"Stop now or else!!" The father and son repeated over and over again. Aastha glared at her son Iagoo and he quickly sat down and put the handful of food on the plate. He reached over and grabbed a spoon as he continued to keep eye contact with his mother's piercing gaze. Aastha tapped her foot as she moved her gaze to Bubaloo. Bubaloo took one look at her and dropped down next to his son. He picked up a spoon and began eating off of his son's plate. If they had learned one thing in these two months it was that Aastha's glare was the warning signal that they had to listen to at any cost. Bubaloo had grown up an only child so when he was around kids he became entirely like one himself. The messes and whining, the tantrums and mischief. While it was cute sometimes, it was not something that Aastha enjoyed having to deal with all the time. 

"Now I have to go to the market to get groceries. I need you two to make sure that this place is spotless when I return. Am I clear?" she managed to say with a stern face.

 "Yes ma'am," echoed both father and son just as a huge chunk of rice fell off of Bubaloo's hair and onto his plate. Bubaloo glanced down at it surprised and shook his hair mimicking a dog. Rice and beans flew in every direction as well as one particular dollop on his nose. Bubaloo then proceeded to try and lick his nose. Aastha stifled a laugh and quickly grabbed her purse and keys and ran outside where she collapsed in laughter. She knew that she had to be the tough one to make sure that things got done, but sometimes she wanted to jump in on the fun as well. After all she had married a monkey and her son had begun to act like a baby monkey since. She sighed and continued to the marketplace. 

***
Aastha struggled to open the door with her keys and grocery bags lined up and down her arms. She finally got the key inside the keyhole and swung the door open only to find her apartment to be... well, it sure was clean. Spotless really. It was also soaking wet. She pushed the door open and stepped inside only to have a bucket of water fall upon her head. Surprised she dropped her groceries and pulled the bucket off of her head. She could hear her two monkeys howling with laughter. Apparently what had started off as a cleaning chore ended as a water fight. She smiled remembering the special tool she had picked up. She leaned down and grabbed the fully loaded water gun. She pulled it out and immediately drenched her entire family in water. As the three of them ran around the apartment continuing the water fight, Aastha smiled to herself and thanked God for her family filled with monkeys. They made each day and adventure and although tiring she couldn't help but be happy as well! Who says they couldn't all be monkeys together? 

Little monkey, Source: earl-brown.info


Author's Note: For this week's story I was inspired by the Quinault story I read about called "The Dog-Husband." The Quinault people are Native Americans who live in the Pacific Northwest of America. In this story, a girl ends up taking her dog with her everywhere and soon becomes pregnant with the dog's children. Upon learning about the pregnancy her family chooses to leave her in the house to die, but she lives with the help of a crow and gives birth to puppies. These puppies eventually end up becoming leaders of the clan, and take their human forms for the rest of their lives. 

I didn't want the story to be so incredibly heavy so I did my best to keep it a light story while still taking the time to use some similar elements. I decided that a sweet story about a family of goofy monkeys was the way that I wanted to go. I would prefer this story to be sweet and bring a smile to your face rather than to be heavy such as the original and have the ability to bother you a bit. I really liked the way that the story ended up turning out, and I hope that you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! 



All information has been found here: The Dog-Husband, from Tales of the North American Indians by Stith Thompson.

 

15 comments:

  1. Hi Sahra, I am glad you addeda new story! Don't forget to include the author's note also (it looks like it dropped off here). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This version of the story was definitely a lot lighter than the original. I read it this week and it broke my heart for the woman, but it was also a bit disturbing that she had puppies. I think you made a great choice by changing the story to monkeys and making it about having fun. Though, I’m sure my mom would freak out if she came home and had a house soaking wet and a bucket of water being dropped on her head! She would probably yell instead of bringing out a water gun. That was an adorable touch to add to the story. I’ve heard of parents having the argument which is going to be the good guy and which is going to be the bad guy. Nobody wants to be the bad guy all the time, so it was cute that you had the mother join in on the fun.
    One thing I would suggest is going through and reading the story once again and fixing some grammar mistakes. I noticed a few while reading. Sometimes I don’t notice mistakes and others do, which help me fix my writing. Other than that, I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sahra,
    Way to go on this awesome story! I think everyone in this class relates to animals in some way or another – I especially do to dogs. I think you definitely left your mark and did not make the story too heavy. Way to go on sharing such a great story with us and I wish you the best of luck through the remainder of the semester! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. This story is absolutely adorable. I love monkeys! I like how you started you story with dialogue. I haven't read that many stories in this class yet that have chosen to start their stories with dialogue. It really works for your story well. I also love the characters' names. The dialogue is good in your story, but I might recommend putting the dialogue on different lines than the storyline, so that it easier for the reader to follow along and distinguish from characters talking and the storyline continuing. I like how you divided your story with asterisks. I haven't done this yet for one of my stories, but I think it's a nice style and easy to follow. The only thing I'm confused with is the end where God, the character, comes in. I don't feel there was enough explanation of what kind of god these monkeys worshipped and what this god meant to them. Is it the same god as christianity? Or a completely new god that these characters worship?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was fun! My biggest curiosity about the story was why her parents forced her into this marriage. In the beginning she seemed rightfully bitter, but by the end she seemed strangely happy. I couldn't believe she would just be perfectly content after going out to get groceries and coming home to a completely wrecked apartment, especially since she is probably the one who would have to clean it up. However, I think your adaptation was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sahra, your story is so cute! I think you made the right call by lightening it up a bit because having your dog’s babies is pretty heavy! I think you did a wonderful job on the opening paragraph. That really drew my attention in by just reading the first sentence. The dialogue in this is perfect! The picture you chose is adorable and fits the light-hearted mood of the story! Overall, you did a great job with this story and you should be happy with how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This story was really cute and lighthearted, nice change of pace from what I'm used to reading! I didn't realize that Aastha married a monkey until it was explained, so it was quite a surprise, but it also explained their behavior. The ending was sweet and happy. Overall, it was a fun read and I had a good time going through it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a fun and lighthearted story to read, which was certainly nice to come across after so many other tales in this class have had much darker story tones for the narratives. This is certainly a story that I would not have been exposed to had it not been for this class. I was certainly taken aback when I realized Aastha had in fact married a monkey! Overall it was a great story and one I am glad I was finally exposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job keeping the story lighthearted. It's a fun idea and you did a great job describing each character to portray were the fun was coming from. I also like how you highlighted that Aastha got frustrated at times but she knew what she got herself into by marrying a monkey Overall great story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bubaloo is such a fun name to say. Although I do not know the original story, your take on it was great. I was immediately drawn in, and everything is so cute. Even the picture is cute! I was surprised the girl was married to the monkey. Great job at keeping the story light and not too serious. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the story that you wrote! It seemed like a typical family in the way that the children repeat what one of the parents say. However, I do feel really bad for Aastha because she seems miserable in her forced marriage. I thought that it was interesting that she was forced into marriage even though she already had a kid. I usually envision forced marriage on girls that are young and have no children. It was also super crazy how she became pregnant by the dog? I really liked your use of dialogue in the story but I would maybe suggesting separating the dialogue from the rest of the paragraph. The reason for this is because the dialogue always comes at the start of the paragraph and that’s why I believe it could be separated and put extra emphasis on it. The picture of the monkey that you added to your story is adorable as well! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, this story is so cute! I also read this story in the Native American unit, and it was so much more depressing. I'm glad in your version the bride is extremely happy with her decision! Not that the girl with the dog-husband didn't seem very happy, but she did have it a lot worse. I'm glad that the people in that universe don't seem to judge as much about taking spouses from other species! I wish you had more details about how that happened! Why did she marry a monkey? Why would her parents force her to marry a monkey? Was he always a monkey? Why did her child turn into a monkey? She also has so much patience with them! I know I would never be able to live with someone who didn't take things seriously at all! But they're so cute together, which I really love. Great job with the story! The picture you picked is absolutely adorable by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Sahra, what an entertaining and light-hearted story! I really enjoyed reading it and had quite a laugh during some parts of it. I hadn't read the original story, but I don't think I really need to. Your story is great! I can just imagine the chaos Aastha has to deal with on a daily basis and how frustrating and funny it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sahra,
    I thought your story this week was really cute. I like how you adapted your original story and made it into something unique. I thought it was funny that this woman married a monkey. I guess that would be an interesting life to live! I have to admit I was a bit confused for a bit reading your story, since you didn’t clarify that the husband was a monkey until later on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great story Sahra! I enjoy having fun and goofing around with my fiancé, but the males in your story take it to a whole new level! Haha. An arranged marriage is hard too. Given, I have a different perspective on arranged marriages because that is not part of my culture, but I don't see how that could be easy on anyone directly involved. However, that's besides the point. You did a great job of keeping your story funny and lighthearted. I especially liked the part where Bubaloo shook his head like a dog to get the rest of the food off of himself. Classic!

    ReplyDelete