Monday, May 1, 2017

Growth Mindset

Hello World!!

Before watching the interviews provided in the material for this course, I had honestly never heard of Carol Dweck. I had always thought that it was better to be encouraging to other people rather than to be discouraging to them for not meeting a certain level. After going through so many different situations in my life I have learned that 99% of the time you just have to keep on going and never give up. So upon watching the various interviews of Carol Dweck I found that I agreed with her hypothesis completely, and I wasn't surprised by the results. They were simply exactly what I would have expected. 

When I was in school, I feel that I was in the growth group rate for some scenarios and in the fixed mindset rate for others. I worked really hard in school as well as in life on various relationships. There was a lot going on during that period of my life, so I had no option but to be of the growth group. I needed to overcome all of my challenges and come out stronger on the other side. I am proud to say that I accomplished my goal otherwise I wouldn't be here today, and I will continue to work hard to accomplish everything else that comes my way no matter what it ends up being! 

I think that the growth mindset should be applied no just to school but to all of your life's problems. Sometimes all you really need is just a little Dory inside your head telling you to "just keep swimming!" Encouragement truly does go a very long way when trying to get through not just challenges in school, but also getting through trying times in life. We all go through times when we doubt ourselves and doubt our decisions, but if we keep telling ourselves that we are working hard to reach our destination even though we have not yet reached it one day we will, it will make a difference. Most of the time when we say things over and over again to ourselves, especially if they are positive things in can influence our mind to then become positive and believe in the optimistic ideas that we have drilled into our minds. I challenge you to try this method out for yourselves to see how much it can help you! Let's strive for a growth mindset in all that we choose to do! 


An Example of a Growth Mindset, Source: Cheezburger

No comments:

Post a Comment